The Camariñas place name derives from an indigenous bush called Portuguese Crowberry (corema album) -caramiña or “hierba del hambre" (hunger weed) in Spanish-. This bush that grows up to a metre in height and has many branches has small female flowers with three petals. The male flowers don’t have petals. The fruit of the "caramiña", a white pinkish drupe up to a centimetre in length with a sweet and sour taste appears in August. The "caramiña" is under threat of extinction and the greatest numbers in Galicia are found in Trece beach.
The remains of the castros (ancient fortified settlements) of Mourín, Monte Croado, Mámoa de Reira and Foxo dos Lobos are witnesses to the first megalithic civilisations in the area.
With reference to the Middle Ages, Sta. María de Xaviña and Ponte do Porto bell tower have been preserved. During the XVIII Century various churches were constructed.
With reference to civilian architecture, we can highlight the palaces and stately homes of Paxariña or Mouzo and the remains of Castelo do Soberano.
Camariñas estuary was a bloody setting during the French invasion (1809) where the invaders ransacked properties and murdered most of the population.
At the end of the XIX Century the history of Camariñas is marked by emigration to America, and from the 60’s to European countries.
In recent years tourism and the craft of bobbin lace making are constantly acquiring more importance, noticeably contributing to the increasing number of visitors.